- To develop soil scientists that will meet the manpower needs of the Federal and State Governments in the Federal Ministry of Agriculture and Water Resources, Ministry of Environment and Housing, Universities; Research Institutions, Oil Companies, etc.
- To broaden the scope of Soil Science discipline to cover agronomy, soil engineering and environmental science in line with regional/global needs and trend.
- To set up and maintain a standard and holistic approach to the study of soil, not only for agronomic productivity but also for addressing relevant environmental and engineering issues.
- To train (in character and learning) future work force in the various areas of Soil Science.
- To prepare and equip students with the necessary skills required to manage the vast natural (land, water and air) resources for improved standards of living.
- To provide the needed expertise and human resources for Nigeria and Africa in specialized areas of soil, water and environmental resources utilization and management.
- To ensure that appropriate (basic and applied) research is carried out on various problems besetting soils of the region and proffer solutions to them.
AREAS OF SPECIALISATION IN SOIL SCIENCE
- Pedology, Soil Survey, Mapping and Land Use Planning
- Soil Fertility, Fertilizers & Plant Nutrition
- Soil Chemistry and Mineralogy
- Soil & Water Conservation & Land Management
- Soil Physics, Rehabilitation and Amelioration
- Soil Biology & Land Pollution Control
- Irrigation & Drainage