Examinations & Misconducts
REQUIREMENTS FOR TAKING EXAMINATIONIn order to be admitted to the university examination the candidate must:
- Have duly registered for the course;
- Follow the approved course of study for a prescribed period;
- Pay all fees prescribed by Senate as and when required;
- Satisfy 75 per cent attendance at lectures;
- Comply with any additional requirements approved by Senate.
SCHEDULING OF EXAMINATIONS
- Normally, course examinations shall be scheduled at the end of the semester in which the teaching of the course is completed and on dates and venues approved by Senate.
- If the University for Unavoidable Reasons is obliged to postpone an examination, the Registrar, in consultation with Deans of affected Faculties and the Director of Academic Planning shall re-schedule such examinations.
DURATION OF EXAMINATIONS
- The duration of written examinations shall be conducted within two to three hours (depending on course credit units).
- For practical examinations, a minimum of three hours shall apply.
Continuous assessmentThe sessional evaluation of the student is based on continuous assessment. This programme assigns 30% of the final grade in any course to continuous assessment (assignments) tests, etc. The remaining 70% is based on the final Examination in the course.
ADMINISTRATION OF EXAMINATIONS
- Students shall be at the examination room at least 30 minutes before the advertised time for the examination.
- Students must produce their registration and identity cards on entry to every examination and leave them conspicuously displayed on the desk for the inspection of the invigilators throughout the examination. It shall be the duty of the invigilators to ensure that students write their names, registration numbers and signatures in the attendance register.
- Students shall write their registration numbers, not their names, clearly at the appropriate place on the cover of every answer booklet and separate sheet(s) attached to the answer booklet.
- No student shall be allowed to leave the examination room during the first hour of the examination, except in cases of emergency. In such emergency cases the invigilator must complete the appropriate forms and refer the candidate to the medical centre. The script must be retrieved from the candidate before leaving the examination room.
- The invigilator shall put the answer scripts in labelled envelopes and submit to the Chief Examiner or course Co-ordinator within 30 minutes after the completion of the examination. It shall be the responsibility of the Chief Examiner in each Department to collect it and confirm the number of scripts and sign for the examination scripts.
- No student shall communicate with any other student or with any other person, except with the invigilator when absolutely necessary. In addition, no student shall make any noise or cause any disturbance during an examination.
- No book, paper, printed or written document or other aid may be taken into an examination room by any student, except as may be stated in the rubric of a question paper. Any candidate found in possession of such prohibited items shall be made to sign an examination irregularity form and a written report made to the Chief Examination Officer. The chief examiner shall in turn investigate and report to the Departmental Examination Board, which shall determine whether or not to accept the student’s script or make any other recommendations to the Faculty Board of Examiners. Students are required to deposit, at their own risk, any handbag, mobile phone, briefcase or similar articles at a desk/corner provided for the purpose before the examination starts.
- Mobile phones shall not be taken into examination hall.
- No students shall, directly or indirectly, give assistance to other students, or permit other students to copy from or otherwise use their papers. Similarly, students shall not directly or indirectly accept assistance from students or other persons.
- Except for the printed question paper, a student shall not remove from the examination room or mutilate any paper or other examination materials supplied.
- At the end of the time allotted, the invigilator shall instruct all students to stop writing, and stand up.
- At the discretion of the Chief invigilator a candidate may be required to leave the examination room if his/her conduct is adjudged to be disturbing or likely to disturb the examination. The Chief invigilator shall report any action taken to the Head of Department immediately;