The specific objectives of the programme include:
- To enable students to develop problem based learning approach together with critical thinking skills for innovative solutions.
- To provide students with broad knowledge of the wide scope of Food Science and Technology including such areas as Food Chemistry/Biochemistry, Food Processing, Food Microbiology, Food Toxicology, Engineering System Design, and Nutrition.
- To provide a practical and theoretical training on:
- The conversion of raw agricultural produce into processed, packaged shelf stable food products and intermediate raw materials.
- Different aspects of food preservation.
- Establishment, maintenance and assurance of food quality.
- Design and maintenance of food process machineries.
- Direct practical experience in food industries, food research laboratories/station and government agencies responsible for the formulation and enforcement of food laws.
- Entrepreneurial skills that will make students self-reliant/employed on graduation.
- The ultimate goal is to contribute to the well-being of the Nigerian society and the world at large by maintaining and improving the safety, variety and quality of food.