Provides leadership, facilitates and encourage animal science education and promotes the norms, values, standards and ethics of science and the exchange of scientific information for the betterment of the human condition.
Strives to be a centre of excellence in teaching, research and community service in animal production and management.
Our Long-Term GoalsTo fulfill our mission, the Department has established a set of long-term goals with prudence in the management of its resources to ensure maximum value of funds received as follows:
- Provide leadership as a world class educational, training and scientific research unit that objectively address issues involving animal production and management in the tropics.
- Facilitate the advancement of research using its facilities to promote best-practice scientific discussions.
- Boost animal production through sharing of research findings with industries as a contribution to sustainable development, wealth creation and improvement in the quality of life in our community and the country.
- Foster communication among academics, the scientific community, indigenous small and large animal production enterprises and the rural farmers in developing countries of the tropics.
- Develop networks with global perspective as a contribution to the enhancement of animal science education.
- Institute and maintain a mentoring regime to enhance career development of young scientists and public awareness of Animal Science as a discipline.
- Cultivate and sustain a robust alumni network-base that guarantees future support for the growth and advancement of the ideals of the Department.
Immediate ObjectivesIn line with our vision and mission statements as well as the ever-changing challenges in the profession, the Department of Animal Science, University of Calabar shall pursue the following objectives;
- Recognize and emphasis the contributions of our triune delivery of teaching, research and community service.
- Promote and sustain peer review regimes for professional excellence.
- Create a collegial atmosphere for personal well-being and capacity development of the faculty, staff and students.
- Create innovative and focused programmes to explore and optimize the synergies in our teaching, research and extension efforts.
- Cultivate the spirit of responsibility and transparency as it relates to our stakeholders.
- Develop and maintain ethical standards of the profession and enforce same in students’ conduct.
Core ValuesThe core values we instil in our students are:
- Hard Work