Admission of students into the degree programme in Agric. Economics is through the Joint University and Matriculation Examination (UME), Direct Entry and the Pre-Degree Programme (which is aimed at rectifying student deficiencies in the basic sciences before embarking on the full degree programme) of the University of Calabar.
To qualify for admission into the degree course, a candidate must satisfy the general University requirements as outlined in the JAMB Brochure Guidelines for admission to First Degree Courses in Nigerian Universities (obtainable from the Joint Admissions Matriculation Board; JAMB). The candidate must also fulfil the Faculty and Departmental requirements prescribed below:
DIRECT ENTRYPossession of a National Diploma in Agriculture (Upper Credit) or three passes at ‘A’ Level GCE in General Agriculture plus two basic science subjects including English Language qualifies one for a Direct Entry (DE) admission. International students holding advanced ‘A’ Level GCE, London/Cambridge GCE, with passes in the three basic Sciences plus English Language can also be admitted into the Bachelor’s Degree Programme.
JOINT ADMISSION AND MATRICULATION BOARDCandidates seeking admission to study for B. Agric. should have possessed passes at credit levels in English Language, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and Biology or Agricultural Science. In addition, a score of at least 180 points in JAMB is required. Candidates should also pass in satisfactory total points, the University of Calabar Post-UME screening.. A candidate may qualify for admission into the Department of Agriultural Economics by satisfying the following:
- Obtain a score in University Matriculation Examination (UME) of not less than annual minimum score required in the following subjects: English Language, Chemistry, Biology or Agricultural Science, and Physics or Mathematics.
- Possessing one of the following qualifications;
- West African School Certificate with passes at Credit level in at least five subjects including; English Language, Mathematics, Agricultural Science or Biology, Chemistry and Physics.
- General Certificate of Education (GCE) with credit level passes at ordinary ‘O’ level in at least five subjects including; English Language, Mathematics, Agricultural Science or Biology, Chemistry and Physics.
- Senior Secondary School Certificate, with credits in at least five subjects including: English Language, Mathematics, Agricultural Science or Biology, Chemistry and Physics.
PRE-DEGREE PROGRAMMEThe University of Calabar, Calabar runs a one year pre-degree Programme to enable candidates make up for their deficiencies.
Conditions for Pre-degree admission:
- Candidates who satisfy the requirements in section (3.2) above i.e. have five (5) O’Level credits and at least a minimum acceptable score in the JAMB but have a pass in English Language or Mathematics are allowed to remedy these subjects preparatory to being admitted in the Department.
- Candidates who attempted JAMB and could not satisfy the JAMB requirements, but have five credits at ‘O’ level GCE or SSCE, with at least two science subjects, are admitted to the one year pre-degree course. In addition, the candidate would have attempted other science subjects.